Friday, February 15, 2008

Breast is Best....UGH!

We're BAAaccck..... I will do an update first and then go on about the title!

We are HOME and doing well! We left the hospital on Wednesday afternoon to a beautiful spring day and arrived home to an adorable stork at the front door to greet us! It is super cute and contains all of Zachary's stats! Thank you to all the wonderful aunties...it brought a tear to my eye!



My mom stayed with us Wednesday and Thursday night to help us out. She has been a huge help just being here, helping with feedings, stuff around the house, etc. I loved having her here and I know Zachary did too...his Grandma gives him lots of love!! She left us to our own devices as Grandma Donna is coming tomorrow and mom wanted us to have a break. So we are on our own tonight!

Overall we are doing really well. Zach had his first pediatrician appointment on Thursday. His doctors didn't admit at Memorial so they wanted to see him now instead of waiting for the typical two weeks. He had already gained back some of the weight he lost at the hospital and doc thought he looked great! We are so proud!

Now onto the tough part...feeding! We did well at the hospital so we thought, but then Zach just decided the boob was not for him. Good all day long and then time to feed...totally not into it. So we had to start supplementing with formula in order to get food into him. Can't starve him for my desire to breastfeed exclusively. So.........we called a lactation consultant and she came by today. Basically, my milk hasnt come in and we have a definite supply issue. She agreed we did the right thing by supplementing which made me feel better. I was afraid she may be one of those nazis and would chastise us for putting him to the bottle so soon. But just as she said, he HAS to get his nutrients! The plan is to work on the supply issue first and then revisit the actual latching issue later. Apparently it is easier to fix than the supply thing. Plan is to PUMP away...about 10 times a day. OMG, thats a lot! I will give it a try though and see if it helps. We also are going to ask OB/GYN about some pill that could help too along with drinking some herbal tea. While Zach is on formula, we bought some new bottles that more resemble the breast and should help with transitioning back to breastfeeding IF we can get my supply in place. Unfortunately, she asked if I had any medical conditions to which I mentioned my PCOS (the issue in us getting pregnant in the first place!!)..and I got the look. Apparently people with PCOS often have supply issues due to the hormonal imbalances. UGH, it strikes AGAIN! Its funny...throughout my pregnancy, I often commented on how my breasts never got larger and wondered aloud if that meant I would have issues breastfeeding to which people always laugh and say no way. Well, apparently I was RIGHT! It is a sign/effect again due to the differences in hormones. Although this was disappointing to hear, I felt somewhat validated and also help to diminsh some of my frustration knowing that truly I have been doing and trying the best that I could do....that the lack of milk was NOT due to me not trying. In the end, I have my new plan and I am going to try it out and see if it can help. I would like to get the supply up so I could atleast bottle feed him breastmilk so for right now, that will be my goal. We will see what happens!

Anyway.......that was much longer than I had planned but felt good to get it all out. There is such an emphasis on breastfeeding and I can see how women can get so upset and frustrated with it AND how it can do a number on your self esteem! I feel like a failure and that I am letting my little man down, but ultimately I know....I was a formula baby and turned out JUST fine! ;)

Now for the fun part if you are still reading (HA!)...PICTURES! This guy is soo cute and I swear gets more handsome every day. And pictures dont even do him justice! There are more at the smugmug site too if you are inclined! Will do my best to keep updated on our goings on here and pictures on the smugmug!

Thank you again to all of our friends and family.Your support has been overwhelming and we feel so blessed to have you in our lives!!





3 comments:

  1. Lisa, he's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on your wonderful creation. I hope the breastfeeding thing works out, from what I've heard it's extremely difficult. You're an awesome mom already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there, homegirl!!!! you are doing great and are already a good mom for making sure your baby is nourished. just stay positive and i know you will find what's best for mom and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa he is beautiful, just perfect in every way!

    Don't worry about the bf'ing thing, if it works great, if not, he will be a happy formula fed baby as well. I spent weeks crying b/c I couldn't get the bf'ing to work and as soon as I let go of the guilt, things got a whole lot better and the twinnies are thriving on formula.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html