Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stressed

I know, I shouldn't be complaining in light of what thousands around me are still dealing with thanks to Ike, but unfortunately, the regular stresses of life continue and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed!

First of all, packing. We have not started. I know, that is our own problem but we have not had any time! Both matt and I are swamped with work after being out for a week and/or working remotely so by the time we get home, that is the last thing we want to do. But we are going to do it this weekend and get as much done as we can.

New childcare- I called one place and got on the waiting list...they said not to expect an opening before Zach was 18 months. For REAL? There are 5 on the list ahead of us for the infant program. The other place I am interested in has no power still so I cannot even talk to someone to find out the situation there. There is one more place I am willing to check out so we shall see. The alternatives are 1) keep him where he is which is fine b/c we love his school but bad b/c i would be the only person able to pickup/drop off and if for some reason I couldnt take him, it is very out of the way for Matt. The other option is a nanny. I am still undecided on this if it was just Z. Anyone thoughts on a nanny??

Work- UGH. it is just plain busy. and we have all these deadlines for our new system and it is just tough to get done along with everything else. not to mention this week Z's daycare has been w/o power so we have been working half days and from home since Wednesday.

I know, all this will pass, but until it does, I shall remain STRESSED!!!

3 comments:

  1. There are a lot of things to love about the nanny situation, but there are two big negatives that Chuck and I have identified and one small negative: (1) For one child it just isn't cost effective (for three it is very cost effective); (2) You're putting all your eggs (children) in one basket (nanny) - there are no checks and balances so if your nanny is sick or doedsn't work out then you're out of luck; and (3) no socialization with other kids.

    With that said, there are great advantages so long as you are comfortable and can address the negatives. We're considering it with the third baby on the way. go thorugh a service so you can get a thorough background check. Also, some services have a back up person for your nanny's sick days and vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll get through it! just plow ahead and before you know, you will be on to the next chapter of your life.

    you know i just recently went through the whole nanny debacle. still, i would love to have one, but they cost sooooo much more than daycare. at least what i found. BUT, if you are willing to shell out the bucks, you can probably find someone who will also help clean the house and do some cooking. and you can take zach on plenty of play dates where i think he could get the great benefit of social interaction that daycare provides. also remember that you are depending on one person, so when the nanny is sick or up and quits, you are SOL. that is a bit scary. definite pros and cons and you just have to make a decision as to what is best for your family.

    and i know this sounds crazy, but all my girlfriends here found their nannies on craigslist. they all have nannycams in the house and watch what is going on. you will get a better response if you place the ad looking for a nanny. and it would be a good idea to translate it to spanish and post that way too.

    good luck with your decision! it is not an easy one and we are finally happy with our daycare situation, so i hope you will be able to find your peace too. keep searching and calling and you will find a good place (daycare or at home) for your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are allowed to feel stressed, don't feel guilty about it! I was a wreck when we were moving, if you remember. I had a panic attack at 3 am which prompted us to call and hire the movers to also pack our crap. It's hard to do with a baby at home, especially right after this big storm.

    We found our "nanny" if you can call her that through craigslist also. She was very nice. BUT of course I was working from home the entire time, so I was there. All I can say is trust your gut. Maybe do some interviews (in your spare time, right?) and see what you think. Your heart will know what's right.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html