Sunday, August 24, 2008

BLOWOUT CITY

That's right folks, you know what I am talking about, and its not a super sale. The diaper situation around here has not been pretty or very good smelling for the last 2-3 days. I am not sure what is going on. Its not just a situation of "time to go to the next size diapers" cause we just moved up to 2-3 and they fit. I will starting using 3s though for bedtime to contain the situation at least. We have had leakage overnight for the last 2-3 nights, lots of small poo diapers instead of just 1-2/day, very smelly, and a couple of blowouts. I am really stumped on why the sudden increase in these volatile POOS! We woke up this a.m. to one that had gone through the jammies to the sleep sack but had not yet infiltrated the sheets. (WHEW! I ave changed the sheet 3x this week and its not fun). Then later this morning, we were having a great time playing on the floor, I was enjoying my morning coffee and Z started just fussing. I moved closer to inspect him and noticed his jammie leg was wet. Upon unzipping the said leg of the jammies.........there was poo everywhere! Seriously. Up the back, out the diaper, down the leg, to the TOES. I didn't even bother taking them off we just went straight to the bathtub. And although Zach enjoyed his off-schedule bath time, I am perplexed what's going on? At first I thought maybe it was related to the new addition of solids. But then the past 3 nights, he won't even open his mouth to try!! He had been eating with no issues since he first started so why the sudden change? Even bottle eating has changed some, not always finishing them.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this related to teething? I have read that teething can cause a decrease in appetite and diarrhea but I am still not feeling any teeth. Maybe its just a precursor of what's to come? I just am not sure!

I guess I will continue to observe him and see what transpires. The good thing is he is not acting like he doesn't feel well at all. Only ailment is a touch of diaper rash but frequent changes and boudreaux's butt paste seem to be managing that aspect okay.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome on the cause of the poops or what to do when your child won't eat! I want to continue on with our solids but when he won't open his mouth, after 20-30minutes of trying I give in.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Zach is cutting some Zzzzzs so I decided to treat myself to watching The Other Boleyn Girl. I loved the book so we will see how the movie does.

7 comments:

  1. sounds like a stomach virus...it will go away ina day or so I bet. they never like to eat when they are sick and the foul smell and soft poos look just like a little tummy virus to me....I don't think teething would cause a low appetite, but teething can cause softer/more frequent poos because of all the saliva they swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope maybe that's it! Although he doesn't act like he feels bad at all! Not extra fussy or whiny or sad at all! Whatever it is, hope it ends soon! Thanks for the info, I hope you are right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Zach (and poor mommy)!!!

    I agree, sounds like a stomach bug, especially if he's not eating and you haven't introduced any new foods to correlate with the start of the problem. Just try to keep lots of fluids in him to replace what he's losing. And bananas and applesauce are great for slowing things down in the digestive department.

    As far as diapers, it must be a boy thing, we've had so many issues keeping Drew dry at night, we finally found buying Huggies overnights in a bigger size does the trick. You can get size 3 at diapers.com

    Hope things are back to normal soon!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While he has what sounds like a stomach bug, try double diapering - especially at night when changing the sheets can be so rough. It might help. Other than that, double the sheets up too. Do crib liner, sheet, crib liner, sheet, crib liner, sheet. I think you can do up to three before more layering becomes impossible. I know moms who keep it like this all the time so that when these late night things happen all you have to do is strip off the bad sheet and liner and then viola, you're ready to put your clean sleepy baby back in bed. I hate changing the sheets during the day and it is so much worse in the middle of the night. Hope he's feeling better soon. Thoses stomach bugs can be so tricky. Thank your lucky stars that he seems to be feeling fine in general.

    ReplyDelete
  5. eating has always baffled me. it has never seemed consistent with paige and there is no rhyme or reason why it is changing. for example, she is down to eating 4 bottles a day when she uesd to chow down 5-6 times a day. she doesn't always finish her bottles either. she has gotten to finishing them more now, but she went through a 2-3 week stage where she would sometimes only eat 2 or 3 ounces and i wouldn't know what to do! i just got over it and took my cues from her. as for the solids, she is totally into whatever i put in her mouth. i think she likes that better than her bottle now. paige is an interesting cat and i just do as she tells me. ha ha!

    as for the blowout, we went through that for a fwe days once too. and then one day it was ok again. i didn't change the diaper or size, but the diapers suddenly stopped leaking. babies are a mystery!

    my call is he is ok, just being a baby and putting you through the mommy test. and you passed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Z and Mommy! Yucky! I don't have any advice, as usual. But I'm sorry to hear about the blowouts.

    Loved the movie The Other Boleyn Girl, btw. What'd you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ask your pedi about ghiardia...I nasty little parasite that kids get--esp when they go to daycare. Max had it several times and Kate had it once. You'll have to provide them with a poo sample and they can test for it. Sometimes they can get a fever, but more often than not, they won't run a fever. Does the poo have a raunch stench too? That can also be an identifying factor. I'm pretty much a ghiardia guru since they had it so frequenty....Let me know if you have any questions...Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html