Monday, August 4, 2008

Adventues in Teething

So far it has not been a fun adventure! I picked up Zach from school and he was hot. I asked how he had been all day and they said he was on and off cranky and only a little warm. I got home and took his temp with the temporal artery thermometer and got anything from 99.9 to 101. I do not like this thing, maybe it is user error but who knows. I think I will get an ear one instead.

Anyway, the poor child got progressively crankier as I was trying to scan his forehead and talk to the nurse at the same time. It started off just like the random squawking/shrieking he has been doing the last week or so. But then this time it turned to crying. The nurse said to give him some Tylenol and if it doesn't get better tomorrow, to come in. She also said that if the fever breaks fairly quick after administering the Tylenol...it is probably the teeth.

So after the Tylenol and a little oragel, he was fell asleep in my arms for like an hour and a half. He did wake up crying for his bottle but has been pretty good since he's been up. We went for a walk and have been playing some. No fever back yet which is good. I will probably give him some more again when I try to get him down for bed.

Anyone else have difficulty teething time? And how long till the teeth finally broke through and he feels better? luckily my office is closed tomorrow for so i can stay home with my little guy!

2 comments:

  1. i can't offer you any advice on the teething because i feel like paige has been teething for a month! ha ha! she has been gnawing on her fists and drooling like crazy, but no teeth and no fussing. so i think just a new thing she does. i think all babies are different. little jake already has 2 teeth (can you believe it?) and has not really fussed or made any stink about the new arrivals. and then one of gwen's daughters didn't get her first tooth until 10 months. i think you are doing the right thing and just trying to keep him comfy during this painful time for him. it will pass soon and those suckers will be in and ready chomp on some real food! like a cheeseburger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy. Drew was always really cranky with teeth too, but never had a fever. It was usually 2 or 3 days of crankiness before a new tooth would pop through. If the fever continues though I would go to the pedi just to rule out an ear infection. I also found chewing on a frozen washcloth or teething ring really helped Drew and motrin worked better than tylenyol at night after 6 months.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html