Thursday, August 7, 2008

Adventure to the Doctor's Office

That's right people...me and my "first-time-momma"ness took the Z Man to the doc today.

Yesterday when I picked up Z from school, he was on the floor being outfit changed and screaming. This is the first time I have EVER seen him upset at school. His teacher told me he had just thrown up all over himself, her, and the bouncy seat he was sitting in. As soon as I scooped him up in his too tiny "extra outfit" (note to self, bring new change of clothes...size 3 doesn't fit any more!!), he stopped crying. So we walked around the class as I was calming him and just asking the teacher how he was all day besides this incident and he seemed fine. And then all of the sudden....BLAAA. All of me, all over him, all over again! It was enough that I could not even go to the grocery store as I had planned because there was just too much. I quickly packed us up and to the bath we headed. For the rest of the night, he was OKAY, but a little cranky and just wanted to be held which I was more than happy to oblige.

This morning he seemed back to himself but the events of the day before we enough to have me saying "uncle" and taking him in. When I arrived at school, he had just fallen asleep for about 5 minutes. I knew this was not going to be good. My child does not like to be woken up and needs his sleep. He went into the car seat without too much fuss but i feared what was to come. Z continued to be okay until it was time to be weighed. He did not like that. Then the temperature taken. He did not like that. And then the resident came in...and he did not like any of that! He was half playing with her stethoscope/half fussing. Everything checked out okay though...ears, nose, throat, chest, diaper area, etc. She called in our doc to do the final once over and this is where it got interesting. It started with the ear checking....fussing turned into crying...crying turned into screaming....and screaming turned into inconsolable sobbing. It was so out of control and out of character that Doc decided to do a quick blood test to rule out whatever they rule out with blood. It took me about 10 minutes to calm him down. I could feel the stares through the walls as other mothers were wondering what in the WORLD is wrong with that child. And then he stopped. Doc came back in. Blood was totally normal. Final conclusion....viral infection...aka, the common bug. She assured me that all was well, watch him for more fever and that most likely it would be all back to normal in a day or two. Whew.

To top it all off, I walked out of our exam room and in the room across was one of my PEO sisters and her son. "Was that your baby crying in there...I was feeling for the mother!". Yeah, that was fun. I think Z scared the whole office.

Anyway, we got home and Z Man was all smiles. We played, had our bottle and went down for a nice long nap. And then the rest of the evening was like normal. He ate his rice cereal, bottle, played, bathed, and down for the count. He cried a bit but all in all, I think we are getting back to normal. Let's hope it continues!

So there you have it. What a week! TGIalmostF!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Zach, I hope his day is better today. Thank goodness he did not continue to puke, long stomoch bugs are the worst. Please don't sweat about your baby crying in the dr. office, everyone has been there and understands. No one likes to be poked and proded when they feel crummy. Poor little Alex lived in the dr office his first year, I know how you feel :(.

    Enjoy your weekend, I miss you guys!! I am sure Z man will be feeling great by the time your weekend starts so have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed this post! Poor baby, poor mommy. I'm still the overreacting mommy and I will take the kids to the doctor almost anytime they run a fever. Sorry, but if I run a fever then something is wrong with me - surely it is the same for kids, right? Apparently not. I get sent home or told over the phone when I call to make an appointment that it's just a fever and to treat it with Tylenol and Motrin and only call back if other symptoms appear. I'm the same way with vomiting. At least it appeared that something was wrong. I've picked up the kids for a fever, taken them to the doctor's office and watched them play like nothing was wrong. One time I waited two 1/2 hours to see the doctor just to be told to go home. The problem is that if there is something wrong, then I need to get the antibiotics so the kids cam get well and get back to school asap. Also, what if I don't take them in and it turns out it is strep or something really serious? Evie had ear infections all the time and I didn't even know it until her eardrum would rupture. Geez, this parenting thing is hard.

    Glad Zach is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html