Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tubing


Yep, we are all set with tubes!!  The last 24 hours have been slightly stressful but all is well now. 


 Yesterday around 3pm I got a call from daycare that Zach had a 102 fever and we needed to come pick him up.   I got there and he was asleep and definitely hot and flushed.  I had a call into the ENT and the pediatrician and was waiting to hear back from both.  Since the pedi hadn't called back, I decided to just stop in since the office is right by the house.  They had no walk-ins but I talked to a nurse who of course suggested Tylenol and made us an appointment for the after hours clinic at 7:20pm.  So we headed home, got a dose of Tylenol and Zach fell asleep in my lap almost immediately.  I knew he wasn't feeling good when all he wanted to do was curl up in my lap.  In the meantime, the ENT called back.  They felt like the fever was probably due to the ear infection and to give him some Tylenol and plan on coming in still in the morning.  The anesthesiologist would make the final call in the morning but probably would be okay.  

We went to our evening doc appointment and pretty much got the same verdict.  Lungs were clear, no nasal drainage, and ears were a mess so most likely the culprit!  So we headed home for the evening.  Zach was all smiles and giggles the whole time at the doc office (guess due to his 2 hour afternoon nap and dose of Tylenol).  He played at home and had a late bottle and off to bed.

We were up at 5:30 this morning in order to be at hospital by 6:30.  Zach was not real fond of this no breakfast business.  He was happy enough to charm the nurses and the reception man though with some cuteness and show off his walking skills.  We were put into a Mickey Mouse room to wait to see doc, anesthesiologist, etc.  All came by, rechecked the lungs and temperature and everything looked good!  ENT came by one more time before it was time to take Zach.  He asked if he could pray for Zachary before surgery and of course Matt and I were really touched by that.  We have been very pleased with him and would definitely recommend him to someone else.  He just has a nice calm and caring demeanor.  The anesthesiologist was really good with Zach too and we definitely felt we were in good hands.  Then came the bad part....the nurses came to take Z away.  It is something I will not forget.  Handing over my little man to the nurse and watching him crying in her arms as they walked away.  I of course cried too.  I am just So very thankful it was only something as routine as ear tubes, I cannot imagine more serious surgeries.... Then about 15 minutes later the ENT came in to say all went well.  Lots of thick goo poured out so he felt the surgery was a success and very much needed.  We had to wait for another 20 minutes or so and then got to go see him in recovery.  He was crying when he woke up but got better when he was in my arms and even better once he had a bottle in his mouth!!  :)  

We did a few more things in order to check out and were on our way home by 9am!  WOW, that was fast!  Zach played as normal once we got home with a little bit of fussiness and went down for a nap around 12!

Thanks for all the prayers and warm wishes.  Thankful it is over and hopefully we will see some improvement in the ears and not be at the doctor once a week now!!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Our hospital gives the kids an amnesia/relaxant drug so that they go willingly to the nurse and don't remember being taken away from the parents. It makes it much easier. I'm glad the surgery went well. Ours was much more intensive and took longer since we did additional procedures. I hope this works for both our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Congrats on getting that done, and now Z will be feeling so much better. Sounds like you both did very well. How touching that the ENT asked to pray for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear all is done, praying you have a restful night and sweet "Z" recovers quickly!
    Handing him over is the worst feeling, I had to stand by and watch Jacob have a seizure and get an IV on Tuesday...worst mommy day ever..

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html