Sunday, August 19, 2007

Quiet Weekend, Missin my Friend

So this weekend Matt had a boys' day with his Fantasy Football League, The Pearl Drinkin Fools...which left me to my own devices. I didn't do a whole lot, which was nice! Cleaned and organized and took a nap Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening I ordered Pei Wei and watched "Because I Said So" with Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. It was a good chick flick. I teared up a few times which is probably only hormone related.

I had been chatting with Claud earlier in the evening. She and PS went to Galvestion to visit the Bishop's Palace where Rachel and Rodney were to be married. For many years, PS has collected Christopher Radko and other glass blown ornaments. His tree is always beautiful. In Rachel's honor, they asked if the Bishop's Palace would accept them as a donation for Christmas. The curator happily accepted and told the Smiths how the "Rachel Story" is well know and it would be their honor. So now at Christmas, there will be a Rachel Tree or something of that nature on display...I look forward to going to see it.

"I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh.But I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry."- Unknown

It had been since Rachel's birthday that I had last watched one of the videos (thank you again Roxanne, I will treasure that always). I think about Rach every day and talk with her, but it's a lot of emotions to watch the video. What I miss most is just calling and hearing her voice and laugh and catching up, or "passing out cards" as we called it. We would often play phone tag before we actually caught each other and had fun leaving silly messages. I just miss her. On the last conversation I had with Rach a week before she passed, along with talking about her upcoming nuptials and the girl's weekend we had planned, we discussed having babies. She talked about how maybe even on their honeymoon they would thorw caution to the wind and start trying as she thought it may take her awhile like it was for me. One of the pics in the montage is of Rachel holding Shawn, the first baby of our group. That just really got me...seeing Rach holding Shawn like we all have been pictured this last month holding Katie and J.P. , it brings a lump to my throat just writing that. I cried for Rachel not being there to hold my little one, for us not being able to call and chat about random pregnancy cravings and symptoms, for me not being able to hold her babies, for our kiddos to be romping together, and for PS and Claud, they miss Rachel so much. It is one of the things in this life I really will never understand and is at the top of my list to ask when it is time. There are so many blessings appearing these days...and I want her here to share in it!! But deep down I know that she is, and in my heart I know that she has a hand in these blessings too. I miss you Rach!

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you canmeet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes,is certain for those who are friends."- Richard Bach

2 comments:

  1. i miss her too. let's go check out the rachel tree together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely! I would love to go down there at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html