Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Halloween Luminaries

If you are on Pinterest at all...I am sure you have seen these cute halloween luminaries!  They are very cute and cheap to make.  My book club made them last week but I didn't attend...so Z and I set off to make them yesterday.  I have been saving jars for who knows what so I didn't have to buy any.  If you don't have any laying around, you can buy a 12 pack at Wal-Mart I hear!

First off, clean out your jars and remove labels.


Second, paint the jars with regular old craft paint.  I actually painted the inside of mine.  Then you don't have to worry about scratching or glazing at the end!  It just gives it a little smoother look.  One note, when painting glass, just try to do one line at a time.  If you try to paint over while it is still wet, it kinda wipes off what you already painted.

The faces I painted on the outside.  Another good thing about that is that you don't have to wait for the jars to dry to paint the faces!  If you don't like the face you made....just wipe it off and start over.  And it won't mess up your base paint!  For the pumpkin, I had some foam pumpkin stickers left over from last year...Z used those to decorate the outside by himself.  It was easier then painting for a preschooler!

That's it!  We painted the lid too.  Drop a little battery operated tea light, and you are set!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html