Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ferber in the Morning??

You know....Ferber, the Father of the CIO(cry it out) method.....I am about to start "ferberizing Zach" for wake-ups!

Zach goes to sleep great. Even if he is awake when you lay him down, he will play in his crib but most times just rolls onto his tummy, sticks hiney in the air and knows it is time for bed. He may make a peep or two when you leave but it rarely lasts any longer than that and has for awhile.

I have talked about Zach's night terrors which I know partially attribute to the sleep sacks....but lately it seems like we are sleeping less and less soundly at night and waking up earlier and earlier!

We hear of parent's who will keep their kids up a little later on the weekend night so they will sleep longer in the morning. I am mystified and slightly envious of this concept! No matter how late we are up at night, Zach is awake at the latest 7am the next morning. He definitely has an internal alarm clock in him that I need to break!

This morning, he was awake at 5am and frankly, that just isn't going to cut it. He needs more sleep than that! So...this morning as he was crying and Matt was going to get Zach's bottle, I said no. I can tell from the cry, nothing urgent is the matter. He is simply awake and wants us! So I just let him cry...It was a long 20 minutes but he eventually puttered out and whether or not he went back to sleep or not, he was laying down when I went in to get him 30 minutes later. So Ferberize I will if it will teach him NOT to be up before the rooster crows every morning! This momma needs some sleep!!!

3 comments:

  1. for us, the "keep them up late so they will sleep in" thing did not work until alex was about 2. Julia will wake up between 7 and 7:30 no matter what time i put her to bed at night these days. alex also has room darkening shades, so he has no idea if it is morning or not...maybe that is how he can easily sleep until 9!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that whole keep-them-up-later-so-they'll-sleep-longer thing just doesn't work. My son needs to sleep from 7 pm to 7 am, maybe earlier on either end, and there's nothing I can do about it.

    If Z is waking up earlier, the book I read (Healthy Sleep Habits) also says not to get him until it's wake up time, even if he cries. I've never done it, though, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty lucky in that aspect I guess. We kept Caroline up until 9:00ish last Friday and she slept until 9:00am Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html