Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I need a detachable arm, counting sheep and the power of TUMS!

OK...I have avoided the pregnancy complaining as long as I could....but I AM officially TIRED! This sleeping thing just ain't working these days. For starters....I have developed INSOMNIA!!!!!!!! It's weird. Before, I would be ready for bed sometime between 10-11pm. Now, I am lucky if I sleepy by 1am. Well I take that back. I am lucky if I can fall ASLEEP by 1am! UGH. And counting sheep will not cut it. Doctor said I can take Tylenol PM but I have not tried it yet. I think I am getting to the point where I may have to bite the bullet and give it a go.

The other issue is this whole "side sleeping" thing. Sleeping on your left side is the preferred position for pregnant women as you have the most blood flow, etc. Well, I sleep on my tummy which OBVIOUSLY is not possible now. And the back is a NO-NO too. So..side it is. My issue is, WHAT DO you do with your arm that's on the bottom? Under the pillow, over the pillow, along your side? I try under the pillow but now my wrist has carpal tunnel I think from this! WAH! It hurts! I am just so not comfy that I am waking up every couple hours either do to ...INSOMNIA, SIDE SLEEPING issues...or....

REFLUX!!!!!!!!! That's the topper. So on top of can't sleep and can't get comfortable, I have acid creeping up my throat at night. Sometimes SO bad it actually wakes me up with the burning. TUMS are my new best friend.

So anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Its extremely frustrating because I do feel so good during the daytime...and it all goes down the tubes at night. Oh tummy sleeping...how I miss you!!

I have my 32 week appointment tomorrow. I will check in and let you know how it goes! Maybe she will have some new remedy for me that doesn't involve a pill!


5 comments:

  1. i totally feel you! i am so sick of sleeping on my side, as i am a back sleeper. my shoulders are in constant pain! as for the refulx, i thought you got a scrip for nexium? have you started that! it is a life saver! i would give anything to swtich back to nexium, but my doctor said i needed to be on protonix and it does not work nearly as well as nexium. how i miss the little purple pill! so i live on tums AND protonix.

    go pick up your recliner and start sleeping in that! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is why I love the body pillow. i also have a bum left sholder and when i carry alex too much it is too painful to sleep on my left. I wake up all the time on my back and get all worried that little Julia is suffering! As for the insomnia, I had that in the 3rd trimester with Alex and the only thing that helped me was to move beds and read...then I was out in 20 min. Moving locations was key for some reason...I do think that late pregnancy insomnia is God's way of getting us ready for all those sleepless nights to come :). I think it is pretty common. At least twice a week I was in the office at 5 am because I could not sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain with the insomnia... I actually have no trouble falling asleep, but then I either wake up 7 times or I wake up once and can't go back to sleep for hours. I would love to stock up on some sleep before Bean arrives, but no such luck.

    I use a body pillow and sleep on my side. I position the pillow so the top of it stops right about where my bottom arm is. So it's kinda under the pillow but not much.

    Good luck getting comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH the tummy sleeping was missed greatly by me. The only relief I got was to go to the beach, dig a hole, place my towel over it, then strategically place my belly in the hole while the rest of me lay flat. Coming to Corpus any time soon? We can give you an hour or two out there.

    As for the reflux, I went through two bottles of TUMS when I was pregnant with Alora. They say it is the hair (which Alora had a head full of). The good news is she has really white strong teeth from all the calcium.

    Just remember, it will all be over before you know it and in 5 years it will hardly cross your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, the insomnia is so so so bad, I almost think it is better to get up at night with a screaming baby because at least you will be able to go back to sleep after the baby does (well in theory anyway). Hang in there, you are in the home stretch!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html