Sunday, January 31, 2010

D day and crockpotting

Well Tuesday is D-Day....WAH! It feels like the first day of school or something. I have nothing to wear, feel totally out of sorts and sync, wondering how the group has changed and if I will remember everything, and wishing I was still going to be at home with my baby boys. Still praying maybe Matt will get some sort of AWESOME job offer that would allow it to be so and at the same time just praying he gets a job offer cause I know how ready he is to work and be out of the house and around peeps. Ironically, the one thing that makes it easier for me going back to work is knowing that Mark will be home with Matt. Not the same thing as me being home, but I will be glad little M can spend some more time with one parent and individual attention.


So, with me returning to work and a whole new schedule, been thinking about ways to make dinner quicker and maximize my time with my man and my babies. I bought a ww cook book all on slow cookers and a lot of the recipes sound really good!! Question for you though....many of them say they only need to cook for like 3-4 hours. How does that work if you want to leave it before you go to work? You just put all your ingredients in and have it turn on later? What if the ingredients are perishable, like meats? Any tips are appreciated and please keep me in your prayers this week as I return to work and missing my boys and also pray for Matt as he is at home on his own with the boys....Irony anyone? ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Boo on having to go back to work, but its a necessary evil I guess. As far as crockpotting, when I used to work full time I would either just use frozen meat (works better with chicken or pieces of meat vs. a whole roast) and double the cooking time. You could always set it to start later too if you have a fancy crockpot, if you go from frozen I wouldn't leave it just sit out for more than 2 hours without cooking, I wouldn't leave any refrigerated meat out without cooking though, but I'm kind of a bacteria freak. The other thing I did with big roasts is put it all together the night before in the crockpot and put the crock in the fridge, in the am all I had to do was pull it out and turn it on, the chill from the fridge will make it take an hour or so longer to cook as well. Good luck Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how to make a 3-4 hour recipe work when you have to leave the house around 7 a.m. Let me know if you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the crock pot book, too. I've only tried one so far. It was OK. I did try a crock pot recipe I got on ww.com. It was great! Sweet potato and pork stew with a cuban kick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just put the crockpot on a lower temperature, then you can leave it on allll day :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

I want to be able to reply to you...make sure I can by following this simple tutorial! :)

http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html